Senior Consultant – Policy
Do you want to make a real difference?
Resource Futures works at the leading edge of UK and global policy on resources and waste topics such as circular economy, marine pollution, plastic waste and climate change. We collect and analyse data, provide insights, and help design policies that have a far-reaching effect on the environment.
We recognise the need for people with the requisite skills, passion and creativity to help shape our ambitious plans for policy work. If you aspire to be the best at what you do, and want to work at the forefront of environmental policy, come and work with Resource Futures.
About Resource Futures
Founded in 2006, we are an employee-owned, non-profit-distributing, independent environmental consultancy with a 30-year heritage in the waste and resources industry. Resource Futures has a vision to create a sustainable world and our mission to achieve this is to support people and organisations locally, nationally and globally in making the most of material resources.
We are passionate not only about what we do but how we do it, and we’re proud to be a part of the global B Corp movement to use business as a force for good. Employee-owned and independent, we’re all about helping each team member grow, and together striving towards our goal of a creating a sustainable world. We are ranked in the top 5% worldwide for all B Corps in our size group, and were named a ‘Best for the World’ 2021 B Corp for our company governance.
We are motivated by the impact of our work and how it feeds in to wider issues of climate justice and circular economy. Our work is far-ranging from supporting businesses to advising governments and delivering the evidence to support global change.
We are seeking an experienced and capable individual to join our Policy Team as a Senior Consultant. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in one or more relevant policy areas, either in a UK or international context, as well as strong project management skills and a positive attitude to problem-solving. Your knowledge and skills may have been developed in consultancy, government policy, the third sector, industry, academia or a combination of roles.
We are looking for a team member who complements our existing experience and brings their own specialisms. You may have a particular interest in either quantitative or qualitative analysis, but at this level a combination of strong data analysis and report-writing skills is a must.
We operate at the forefront of environmental policy, and support clients at all stages of policy development from preliminary research to policy design and evaluation. Our work reflects the experience and passions of our team members. As a Senior Consultant, you’ll have the opportunity to shape the workstream as we build on recent successes and develop new areas of growth. You will also play a role in training and mentoring junior colleagues.
Recent work in the UK has focused on tackling marine litter and waste issues from fishing and aquaculture gear, and exploring digital innovation in a UK deposit return scheme, alongside projects looking at extended producer responsibility, textiles, illegal waste disposal and global policy best practice. Internationally, we have been supporting governments of low- and middle-income countries to develop the evidence and strategies needed to tackle plastic waste.
Please feel free to get in touch to discuss whether the role might be suitable for you.
What you will be doing
- UK/devolved nation policy research and analysis: Clients may include government departments and public bodies, environmental NGOs and other progressive organisations with an interest in circular economy, resources and waste policy.
- Project management: You’ll manage a range of projects, with the support of the project director, using project management software.
- Client relationship management: You’ll maintain excellent relationships with clients, ensuring they are well-informed, engaged and receive the value they seek from our work.
- Business development: You’ll develop and manage proposals for new work, supporting the Policy Lead.
- Strategic planning: You’ll work closely with the Policy Lead to shape the strategic direction of our consultancy work and impact.
- People management: You will have some line management responsibilities and will be supported to build skills in this area.
- Other responsibilities applicable for a Senior Consultant grade.
In the ‘Skills and experience’ section of your application, please provide evidence related to the following essential and ‘great to have’ attributes.
- A keen interest in environmental issues and sustainable resource use.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent training or experience.
- At least five years’ relevant work experience (including any postgraduate research).
- A track record of successfully managing and delivering projects on time and on budget, for example in a consultancy, thinktank, government body, NGO or similar.
- Demonstrable subject knowledge related to at least two areas of circular economy/waste policy, e.g., EPR, DRS, reuse, eco-design, product passports, electronics, textiles, construction, plastics, packaging, waste crime, waste exports, marine litter, etc.
- Quantitative analysis and data modelling skills (could include experience in economic/environmental impact assessments, carbon modelling, statistical analysis, or other methods).
- Qualitative analysis skills (could include designing and conducting interviews, surveys, literature reviews or other methods).
- Strong communication skills, with experience of producing reports and giving presentations tailored to different audiences.
- Highly competent IT user, particularly Microsoft packages, including Word and Excel.
- A positive and proactive approach to problem-solving.
Great to haves
- Postgraduate degree or research experience in a relevant subject.
- Understanding of the interactions between the climate, resources and nature policy areas; interest/experience in systems thinking.
- Additional analytical skills and interests, for example in GIS, R or other software.
- Embedded flexi working culture.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, each year.
- One paid volunteer day each year.
- Buddy system to support our new joiners in settling into their role.
- A generous ethical pension plan (the company will match up to 7% of your contribution).
- Life assurance cover.
- Employee Assistance Programme, offering 24/7 GP advice line and prescriptions, mental health support and counselling, wellbeing advice, financial and legal guidance, all available to employees and their families.
- Internal team of mental health first aiders and responders, promoting awareness of mental health in the workplace and to support colleagues.
- Home access to dental advice and private prescriptions.
- Cycle to work scheme and on-site secure bike parking and showers.
- On-site charging points for electric vehicles.
- Subsidised professional membership such as CIWM or IEMA.
- Tech scheme saving up to 12% and spreading purchase costs over 12 months.
- Retail voucher and discount schemes saving up to 15% on purchases.
- An opportunity to become a company member, contributing to decision making and the future of our business.
- Access to our Consultative Group platform – a representative group of employees that provides an anonymous vehicle for employee voice, raising issues and engaging senior management.
- Regular line manager 1:1’s and performance reviews, with opportunities to discuss and build targets that inspire and push you professionally.
- Annual training budget to ensure continued progression and development, as well as regular internal ‘Lunch and Learn’ and other sessions to share skills and knowledge across all workstreams and roles.
- Two annual team activity days, each followed by evening socials.
- Green Bristol location, surrounded by nature, and only 10 minutes’ walk to the harbourside.
- An opportunity to join a friendly, fun, professional, challenging, and supportive place to work, and a team that is collectively focused on making a positive impact.
How to apply
We are an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all, and we will always seek to consider flexible working options if appropriate.
In recruiting, hiring, developing and promoting employees, we treat everyone equally irrespective of sexual orientation, gender (including sex, marital status or gender reassignment), marital or civil partnership status, age, disability, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, and place an obligation upon all employees to respect and act in accordance with this policy.
Resource Futures operate a blind recruitment process which reduces bias and promotes diverse hiring. The hiring team do not have access to the application forms that include any personal details and select candidates for interview based only on information provided on Application Form – Part 2.
To apply, please download the forms below and return to HR@resourcefutures.co.uk. Please let us know if you would like to submit your application in a different format.
Senior Consultant – Policy
Contract: Permanent, either full time 37.5 hours per week, or part time 30 hours per week.
Location: Glasgow or Bristol office. Hybrid working available.
Salary: £30,000 - £47,000