Community Action Group Project, Oxfordshire
10 September 2018
The CAG Oxfordshire Project is a network of over 65 community action groups spread across Oxfordshire, each working towards making Oxfordshire a more sustainable county. Our groups take community led action based on issues such as waste, transport, food, energy, biodiversity and social justice.
Started in 2001, the network is the largest of its kind in the UK. Over 3,000 events are run each year attended by around 104,000 local residents and contributing over 30,000 volunteer hours to the county.
The CAG Oxfordshire project was set up with Oxford County Council to:
- Support and increase the impact of community led groups taking action on sustainability in Oxfordshire
- Help reduce Oxfordshire’s carbon emissions and create a greener, more sustainable county
- Reduce waste across the county
- Empower people in local communities and increase social cohesion.
The CAG Project concept provides a decentralised, facilitative, peer to peer network approach. Our aim as a supporting organisation is to empower the local network of community groups to grow, develop and become more resilient. The values that shape our approach are:
- Community led, grassroots action
- Co-operation and mutual support
- Fostering community interconnectivity and recognising interdependence.
Between 2017 and 2018 alone the CAG Oxfordshire project has achieved
- 3,199 events and activities promoting sustainability
- 104,890 event participants who either learned about or participated in creating a more sustainable Oxfordshire.
- 31,971 hours volunteered by members of the local community, equating to the value of £414,672 in volunteer time, to improve sustainability in Oxfordshire.
- 159 tonnes of waste prevented and diverted from local waste disposal.
- 31,596 (KWH) of energy savings
- 60 tonnes of carbon emissions avoided
- £126,251 consumer savings through reduced energy bills, savings from purchasing equivalent items and from reduced use of resources arising through reuse projects
- £988,532 of funding and income raised and generated by groups in the CAG Oxfordshire network
- 17:1 return on investment for £92,000 core funding given by Oxfordshire County Council